All Lewis entries for Peppardstown



Peppardstown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

PEPPERSTOWN

PEPPERSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2- miles (N. E.) from Fethard ; containing 1156 inhabitants. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Fethard : the tithes amount to £250. The ruins of the church still remain. The ruined castle of Knockelly, consisting of a large and nearly perfect square tower of superior masonry, forms a conspicuous object in the surrounding scenery : it is encompassed by a strong wall, about 30 feet high, with bastions at the angles, and part of the enclosed area is now occupied by a farm-house, There is also an ancient fort or moat within the limits of the parish.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020