MOYCARKEY, a parish, in the barony of ELIOGARTY, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S.) from Thurles, on the mail road from Dublin (by way of Cashel) to Cork ; containing 1373 inhabitants. This parish, which is partly bounded by the river Suir, comprises 3554 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about one-fifth is pasture, nearly the same proportion waste and bog, and the remainder arable land. Turtulla, the property of Valentine Maher, Esq., and now the residence of John B. O'Brien, Esq., is pleasantly situated in a well-planted demesne on the river Suir : there is a flour-mill on the estate. The other seats are Maxfort, the residence of Wm. Max, Esq. ; Cabrae Castle, of P. Fogarty, Esq. ; and Moycarkey Castle, the property of Viscount Hawarden, now in the occupation of Mr. Wm. Foley. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Clogher, and of the corps of the chancellorship of Cashel, in the patronage of the Archbishop : the tithes amount to #200. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Borrisleigh, forming part of the R. C. archbishop's mensal. In each parish is a chapel ; that of Moycarkey is a modern structure, situated near the ruins of the old church, of which there are considerable remains. About 210 children are educated in two private schools. The ancient castle of Moycarkey, formerly the residence of the Cantwell family, consists of a large square tower, surrounded by a considerable area, which is enclosed by a strong high wall having small towers at the east and west angles ; it was struck by lightning nearly half a century since, when a large breach was made in the great tower, and also in the eastern wall.