All entries for Knockgraffon



Knockgraffon

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

KNOCKGRAFFON

KNOCKGRAFFON, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S.) from Cashel, on the road to Cahir ; containing 3520 inhabitants. It comprises 9169 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is moderately well cultivated ; there is no bog, and the Waste land is rapidly being brought into cultivation ; here are several limestone quarries. The principal seats are Rockwell, the residence of J. Roe, Esq., Westgrove, of A. Riall, Esq. ; Garranler, of L. Keating, Esq. ; Woodinstown, of R. Carew, Esq. ; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. N. Herbert. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, episcopally united in 1803 to the rectory of Doggstown, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Ormonde ; the tithes amount to #710. 15. 4., and of the entire benefice to #738. 8. 2. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 60 acres ; the church is a neat edifice. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called New Inn, comprising this parish and Doggstown, in each of which is a chapel. The parochial school-house, with an acre of land, was given by the late rector ; and at Rockwell is a national school, aided by W. Roe, Esq.: these schools afford instruction to about 100 children, and there are five private schools, in which are about 400 children. At Poolmucka is a dispensary. The moat of Knockgraffon covers a very considerable area, and from its great elevation forms a conspicuous object: contiguous are the ruins of the old church and of a castle ; and a town or considerable village is supposed to have existed here formerly.

NEW-INN

NEW-INN, a village, in the parish of KNOCKGRAFFON, barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S.) from Cashel, on the road to Cahir and Clonmel ; containing 320 inhabitants It is a station of the constabulary police, and petty sessions are held once a fortnight. Fairs are held on March 17th, May 16th, Aug. 1st, and Dec 6th. The parochial church, a neat edifice, is situated in the village ; also the principal chapel of the R. C. union or district, comprising the parishes of Knockgraffon and Dogstown ; it is a neat modern structure.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020