KILLENAULE, a small market and post-town, and a parish, in the barony of SLIEVARDAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5? miles (N.) from Fethard, and 84 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Cashel to Callan ; containing 3464 inhabitants, of which number, 1578 are in the town. The parish comprises 6121 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and furnishes limestone, flagstone, potters' clay, iron ore, and slate fit for making pencils. Its large collieries are described in the article on the county (which see). A chief constabulary police force is stationed in the town, where there is a weekly market, and a sub-post-office to Littleton ; and fairs are held on the first Thursday (O. S.) in May and October, and on Jan. 1st, March 25th, June 24th, and Aug. 14th. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, united to the rectories and vicarages of Cooleagh, Magawry, Drangan, Isertkerin, and Barrettsgrange, and the rectory of St. Johnstown, forming the union of Killenaule, in the patronage of the Archbishop : the rectory is appropriate to the Chancellorship of the cathedral of Christ-Church, Dublin : the tithes amount to #300, of which #200 is payable to the chancellor, and #100 to the vicar ; and the entire tithes of the benefice amount to #949. The church is a small ancient building. There are a glebe-house and five glebes in the union, comprising 47a. 2lp. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, and has a chapel. About 540 children are educated in six private schools ; and there is a dispensary. Here are the remains of Gralla and Graystone castles.