All Lewis entries for Kilfeakle



Kilfeakle

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

KILFEACLE

KILFEACLE, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3- miles (S. E. by E.) from Tipperary, on the road from that place to Cashel; containing 2033 inhabitants. It comprises 7152 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £7950 per annum. Some of the land is of excellent quality, and good limestone is abundant. A fair is held on July 10th, chiefly for wool and lambs. Kilfeacle House is the residence of Mrs. Scully. The parish is in the diocese of Cashel, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Tipperary: the tithes amount to £369. 4. 7-. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Golden, and has a chapel near the Moat. About 80 children are educated in a public and the same number in a private school. There are the remains of castles at Grantstown and Castle Field, also a large Danish moat.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020