All Lewis entries for Cloneen



Cloneen

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

CLONYNE

CLONYNE, or CLONEEN, a parish, partly in the barony of SLIEVARDAGH, but chiefly in that of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Fethard ; containing 1680 inhabitants, and comprising 12,078 statute acres. Fairs are held on May 30th, June 29th, and Nov. 1st. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Fethard : the tithes amount to £300. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, including the parishes of Clonyne and Drangan, in each of which is a chapel. There is a school in which are about 130 children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021