All entries for Clogher



Clogher

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

CLOGHER

CLOGHER, a parish, in the barony of KILNEMANAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. W.) from Thurles ; containing, with the parish of Rathkenan, 2062 inhabitants, This parish is situated on the high road from Tipperary to Thurles, and comprises 6997 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at #4935 per annum. About one-half is good arable and pasture land, and the remainder, with the exception of a small portion of underwood, is mostly mountainous, with some bog. The hiving is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, united at a period unknown to the vicarages of Inshyanly and Dovea, and the rectory and vicarage of Moykarkey, together forming the corps of the chancellorship of Cashel, in the patronage of the Archbishop ; the rectory is impropriate in W. Moore, Esq. The tithes amount to #276. 18. 5?. of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent ; and the amount of tithes for the union, payable to the chancellor, is #452. 6. 1?. There is neither church nor glebe-house ; the Protestant parishioners attend the church of Clonoulty ; those of Inshyanly, the churches of Thurles and Templennore ; and those of Moykarkey, that of Holy Cross. The glebe comprises 27 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Clonoulty. There is a pay school, in which are about 140 children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020