All entries for Tisrara



Tisrara

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

MOUNT-TALBOT

MOUNT-TALBOT, a post-town, in the parish of TESSARAGH, barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6? miles (S. S. W.) from Roscommon, and 81? (W. by N.) from Dublin : the population is returned with the parish. It derives its name from the contiguous mansion of Mount Talbot, the seat of Wm. Talbot, Esq., which, some years since, was enlarged and castellated, and now presents a fine front, having massive square towers, and an arcade extending from one side : it is situated amidst rich woods on an elevated bank above the river Suck. The village extends down the neighbouring slope to a bridge of twelve arches, across a water way of about 80 yards, and on the opposite side are some houses of a better description. It is a station of the constabulary police ; and has a sub-post-office to Roscommon. Fairs are held on May 8th, June 14th, Nov. 1st, and Dec. 21st.; and petty sessions are also held here. An equitable loan fund was established here, in 1834, with a capital of #400, for the benefit of the industrious poor.

TESSARAGH

TESSARAGH, or TAUGHSRARA, a parish, in the barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, upon the river Suck and on the road from Roscommon to Ballinasloe ; containing, with the post-town of Mount-Talbot (which see), 3492 inhabitants. This parish comprises 5096 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : the soil is light and chiefly under tillage ; there is a great quantity of bog. Limestone quarries of the best description are worked ; the stone is used as piers for gates, and slabs for chimney-pieces. Fairs are held at Mount-Talbot, and petty sessions at the Four Roads on alternate Fridays. The gentlemen's seats are Mount-Talbot, the residence of W. Talbot, Esq. ; Bushy Park, of J. Barlow, Esq. ; and Belgrave, of O. Irwin, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin. episcopally united, in 1811, to the vicarages of Desert and Taghboy, constituting the union of Tessaragh or Mount-Talbot, in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in the Incorporated Society. The tithes amount to #103. 1. 6? of which #41. 4. 7?. is payable to the society, and the remainder to the vicar : the gross tithes of the benefice are #138. 9. 2. The church is a plain neat Gothic building, erected in 1766 at an expense of #415, a gift from the late Board of First Fruits ; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #390 for its repairs. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also part of the parish of Taghboy ; there is a chapel at the Four Roads, a small thatched house in bad repair. There are two schools aided by subscriptions, in which about 50 children are taught ; and four hedge schools, in which are about 400 children. Here are some ruins, supposed to be those of a religious house.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020