All entries for Kiltrustan



Kiltrustan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

KILTRUSTAN

KILTRUSTAN, a parish, in the barony and county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2? miles (N. N. W.) from Strokestown, on the road to Elphin ; containing 3543 inhabitants. It comprises 4870 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and principally under an improving system of tillage. There is also a large quantity of bog, with quarries of excellent limestone, also limestone gravel arid marl, and on the lands of Tubberpatrick some very fine potters' earth. Lead ore has been found, but is not worked. The principal seats are Tubberpatrick, the residence of Mulloy McDermott, Esq. ; Cloneen, of Gilbert Hogg, Esq. ; and Cretta Cottage, of Capt. Dillon. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Bumlin ; the rectory forms part of the corps of the prebend of Kilgoghlin. The tithes amount to #312. 10., of which #208. 6. 8. is payable to the vicar, and #104. 3. 4. to the prebendary. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Strokestown, and has a chapel. It is in contemplation to build a Presbyterian meeting-house. About 60 children are educated in a public, and 130 in three private schools. Here are the remains of a monastery, the burial-ground of which is still much used, also of a castle, which belonged to O'Connor Roe ; and a well, dedicated to St. Patrick.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019