All Lewis entries for Kilnamanagh



Kilnamanagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

KILNAMANAGH

KILNAMANAGH, or KILLENAMANAGH, a parish, in the barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Boyle, on the road to Castlerea ; containing 2815 inhabitants. It comprises 3126 statute acres, principally under tillage, and includes extensive bogs and marshes. Limestone is plentiful. About a mile above Lough Gara the river Breeogue is crossed by a long low causeway bridge, near which a village has arisen. The principal seat is Kingsland, the residence of J. Conmee, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Lorton and H. Young, Esq., of Castlerea. The tithes amount to £82. 8. 2., of which half is payable to the vicar, and half to the impropriators. There is no glebe-house ; the glebe comprises 25a. 3r. 26p. statute measure, valued at £21, and subject to a rent of £2. 12. 6., per annum. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Lough Glen, and contains a chapel. There is a school aided by an annual subscription from Lord Lorton, in which are about 30 children ; and there are about 130 in three private schools.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021