KILCOOLEY, or KILHOOLY, a parish, in the barony and county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Strokestown, on the road to Frenchpark ; containing 1779 inhabitants. This parish is principally under tillage, with some good grazing land ; it is in a good state of cultivation, and there is no waste and but a small quantity of bog. Limestone of very good quality is quarried both for agricultural purposes and for building. The principal gentlemen's seats are Bloomfield, the residence of H. O'Farrell, Esq., M.D. ; Ardkeena, of Mrs. Hawkes ; Corbally,of T. Plunkett, Esq. ; Cloona, of J. Gunning Plunkett, Esq. ; and Lisnanean, of Capt. Nolan. Petty sessions are held every Wednesday. The parish is in the diocese of Elphin ; the rectory forms the corps of the prebend of Kilcooley in the cathedral of Elphin, and the vicarage is part of the union of Ardclare: the tithes amount to #112. 14. 9., payable to the incumbent, one-half as prebendary and the other as vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Killuken and Ogulla, and containing two chapels ; that of Kilcooley is on the townland of Cloncullane, and a school is attached to it. There are also five private schools, in which are about 350 children. A monastery was founded here by St. Bolcan, or Olcan, but at what period is unknown ; and there are some remains of ancient forts.