All entries for Cloonfinlough



Cloonfinlough

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

CLONFINLOGH

CLONFINLOGH, a parish, in the barony and county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Strokestown, on the road to Roscommon ; containing 4540 inhabitants, This parish comprises 6283 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at #4029 per ann. : the land is equally divided between arable and pasture, except about 300 acres of bog. Limestone is found of excellent quality. On the eastern side of the parish is part of the isolated ridge of Slievebawn, and at its base is the race-course of Ballynafad, near which a fair for horses and sheep is held on Aug. 27th. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and is part of the union of Clontuskert ; the rectory is partly impropriate in the representatives of Lord Kingsland, and partly forms a portion of the corps of the prebend of Kilgoghlin in the cathedral of Elphin, The tithes amount to #184. 12. 3?. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Carraghroe, also called Lissonuffy ; the chapel is on the townland of Carrowniscagh. There are four hedge schools, in which about 100 boys and 60 girls are educated. The ruins of Ballynafad castle still remain : it belonged to a branch of the O'Connors, and was placed under Queen Elizabeth's authority by Charles O'Connor Roe.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019