All Lewis entries for Cam



Cam

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

BRIDESWELL

BRIDESWELL, a village, in the parish of CAMMA, barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5? miles (N. N. W.) from Athlone; containing 130 inhabitants. This place derives its name from a copious spring of very pure water, close to which is an ancient building, formerly a chapel, from which a doorway leads to the well, now converted into a bath. Over the doorway are an inscription and a coat of arms, from which it appears that this alteration was made by Sir Randal Mac Donnell, the first Earl of Antrim, in 1625. The village is built around a level green, on which was formerly kept one of the most celebrated patron festivals, but, on account of its immoral tendency, it has been suppressed by the exertions of the R. C. clergy. A constabulary police force has been stationed here; and there is also a dispensary.-See CAMMA.

CAMMA

CAMMA, a parish, in the barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Athlone; containing 4115 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Athlone to Mount-Talbot, and comrises 10,114 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is chiefly under tillage ; there are about 648 acres of bog, but no waste land; the system of agriculture is improving; limestone is quarried for agriculture and other uses. The principal seats are Lysterfield, that of J. Lyster, Esq.; Curraboy House, of J. Byrne, Esq.; and Milltown, of G. King, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and is part of the union of Kiltoom; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Kingsland. The tithes amount to £195, of which £85 is payable to the impropriator, and £110 to the incumbent. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, including also the parish of Kiltoom; there is a chapel at Curraboy, and also one in the parish of Kiltoom. At Carrick is a national school, in which are about 80 boys and 30 girls and there are four pay schools, in which are about 160 boys and 70 girls. Only the ruins of the old parish church, with a burial-ground, remain; and there are some ruins of the old castle of Curraboy, built by the Dillons, near which are several raths or forts.

PULLAHER

PULLAHER, a village, in the parish of CAMMA, barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Athlone, on the road from Knockeroghery to Ballinasloe: the population is returned with the parish.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020