All entries for Lusmagh



Lusmagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Offaly

LUSMAGH

LUSMAGH, or KILMACUNNA, a parish, in the barony of GARRYCASTLE, KING's county, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (S. S. W.) from Banagher ; containing 3420 inhabitants. A Franciscan friary was founded at Cloghan Cantualaig by O'Madden, early in the fifteenth century, of which no particulars have been recorded. The castle of Cloghan, supposed to have been built in the reign of King John, was taken by storm in 1595 by Sir Win. Russell, Lord-Deputy, who put forty-six of the garrison to the sword, in consequence of O'Madden, the proprietor, having sent him a taunting refusal to surrender. It is now the property of Garret O'Moore, Esq., whose ancestors have been resident here since the reign of Queen Elizabeth, when they were banished from the territory of Leix, in Queen's county. The parish is situated on the river Shannon, and on the Lesser Brosna, one of its tributary streams ; and Comprises 5876 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Limestone is found here, and the inhabitants enjoy the advantage of the Shannon navigation to Limerick. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert ; the rectory being partly appropriate to the see and partly to the archdeaconry ; and the vicarage forming part of the union of Dononaughta, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to #104.6. 1?., of which #64. 12. 3?. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, in whom the temporalities of the see are now vested ; #13. 16. 11. to the archdeacon; and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms a separate district. A large and handsome chapel has been lately built at the cross of Capplevane, and the old chapel at Cloghanbeg is now used as a school, in which, and in another school, about 160 children are educated. Some remains of the old church still exist. -See NEWTOWN.

NEWTOWN

NEWTOWN, a village, in the parish of LUSMAGH, barony of GARRYCASTLE, KING's county, and province of LEINSTER, 1? mile (S.) from Banagher, on the road from Parsonstown to Cloghan castle ; containing 59 houses and 348 inhabitants. Here is a station of the constabulary police.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019