All Lewis entries for Kilbride (Kilcoursey)



Kilbride (Kilcoursey)

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Offaly

CHARLESTOWN

CHARLESTOWN, a village, in the parish of KILBRIDE-LANGAN, barony of KILCOURSEY, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER. adjoining the town of Clara : the population is returned with the parish. This place is situated on the road from Farbane to Kilbeggan, and was formerly the seat of an extensive linen trade, for the management of which a linen-hall was established. The village consists of about 40 houses, and had a patent for two annual fairs and a linen market weekly on Monday. Adjoining it is the castle of Kilcoursey, once a place of great strength, which gave name to time barony. In the vicinity are also Cloghatana, the old residence of the Fox family ; Ballynamintan and Marshbrook, the ancient seats of the Mars family ; and Kilfylan, the residence of an ancient branch of' the De Berminghams.

KILBRIDE-LANGAN

KILBRIDE-LANGAN, or CLARA, a parish, in the barony of KILCOURSEY, KING'S COUNTY, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Tullamore to Athlone; containing, with the post-town of Clara, 4337 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the Grand Canal, and comprises 5375 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which more than one-half is good arable land, and of the remainder, about 1600 acres are profitable bog. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Ardnorcher, and also of the perpetual curacy of Clara, in which the church is situated; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire. The tithes amount to £272. 6. 1., of which £152. 6. 1. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar, who contributes £55. 7. 8 - . towards the stipend of the perpetual curate. In the R. C. divisions, also, the parish forms part of the union or district of Ardnorcher or Clara: the chapel is at Lehinch, where is a school under the patronage of the Christian Brotherhood; there is also a chapel in the town, and a larger is about to be erected. There are places of worship for Baptists, and for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. About 45 children are taught in the parochial schools; and there are also seven private schools, in which are about 240 children.-See CLARA.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021