All Lewis entries for Cullenwaine



Cullenwaine

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Offaly

CULLENWAYNE

CULLENWAYNE, a parish, in the barony of CLONLISK, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, containing, with the post-town of Moneygall, 1653 inhabitants, of which number, 379 are in the town. This parish is situated on the road from Dublin to Limerick, and contains 3550 statute acres, of which about 1100 are reclaimable bog. The principal residences are Rathenney House, that of Maunsell Andrews, Esq., situated in a handsome demesne ; Green Hills, of the Rev. W. Minchin ; Silver Hills, of Mrs. Smith ; and Rathenney Cottage, of J. Andrews, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and is part of the union of Templeharry : the tithes amount to £227. 9. 10-. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dunkerrin ; the chapel is at Moneygall. The parochial school is aided by the incumbent and other contributors ; a school in the village is supported by the parish priest, and there are two others. There is also a private school, in which are about 30 boys and 10 girls.

MONEYGALL

MONEYGALL, a village and post-town, in the parish of CULLENWAYNE, barony of CLONLISK, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 6? miles (S. W.) from Roscrea, and 65? (S. W. by S.) from Dublin, on the mail coach road to Limerick ; containing 379 inhabitants. It comprises 76 houses, and is situated on the estate of the Rev. W. Minchin, near the confines of the county of Tipperary: it has a patent for three fairs during the year, and is a constabulary police station. It is in contemplation to hold petty sessions here shortly. Adjoining is Greenhills, the residence of the proprietor, a modern and elegant mansion in a highly ornamented demesne. Busherstown, originally called Bouchardstown, is a handsome residence of a branch of the same family. The church service is performed twice every Sunday in the school-house, there being no church in the parish. There is a R. C. chapel, and a dispensary was established in 1826.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021