All Lewis entries for Nohavaldaly



Nohavaldaly

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

FRACTIONS, EAST and WEST

FRACTIONS, EAST and WEST, detached portions of the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER ; the former being locally situated in the parishes of Drishane, Kilmeen, and Nohoval-Daly, in the barony of Duhallow, county of Cork, and the latter in the parishes of Glenbegh and Killorglin, barony of Magonihy, county of Kerry, containing in the whole 5296 inhabitants, of which number, 285 were in Drishane, 1045 in Kilmeen, 1304 in Nohoval-Daly, containing together 2634 ; and 616 in Glenbegh, and 2046 in Killorglin, together amounting to 2662 inhabitants. In the ecclesiastical divisions they are considered as forming parts of the parishes above enumerated.

KING-WILLIAM?S-TOWN

KING-WILLIAM'S-TOWN, a village, recently erected by government, in the parish of NOHOVAL-DALY, barony of DUHALLOW, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 9- miles (S. E.) from Castle-Island, on the river Blackwater, and on the new government road from Castle-Island to Roskeen Bridge ; the population is returned with the parish. It is situated nearly in the centre of the crown lands of Pobble O'Keefe, comprising about 9000 statute acres, which formed part of an extensive territory forfeited by the O'Keefes in 1641, and have since remained in the occupation of the lessees of the crown. On the expiration of the last lease, granted about a century since to the Cronin family, it was determined by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, on the recommendation of their surveyor, Mr. Weale, to retain the estate in their own hands ; to commence a series of experimental improvements in draining, planting, building, &c. ; and hy the construction of new roads to render accessible this hitherto wild, neglected, and uncultivated district. For these purposes the commissioners were empowered, hy an act passed in 1832, to appropriate £17,000 from the revenues of the crown, to which the Grand Juries of Cork and Kerry added pre-sentments amounting to £7937. The works were accordingly commenced in Sept. 1832, under the superintendence of Mr. Griffith, the government engineer ; and after considerable progress had been made in the intersection of this mountain district hy two important lines of road (noticed in the article on the county of Cork), the erection of the village was commenced on the eastern bank of the Blackwater, on the road to Castle-Island, which here crosses the river over a handsome stone bridge of two elliptic arches. It chiefly consists of a row of neat houses with shops, and of dwellings for workmen, situated on the northern side of the road ; at the western extremity near the bridge is a commodious dwelling-house with suitable out-offices, at present occupied hy the sub-engineer, but intended for an inn, on the completion of the model farm-house now in course of erection near the village, which will be his future residence. Immediately opposite is a neat garden and nursery, extending to the river, which, though formed in the centre of a deep bog, has produced flowers, vegetables, and seedlings of a superior description, and from which nearly 50 acres of mountain land have already been planted. To the east of the nursery garden a handsome school-house in the Elizabethan style has been erected ; it is surmounted hy a cupola and its front ornamented hy a clock ; and it is in contemplation to erect a chapel, with a residence for the priest. The village is well supplied with water from a well on the Kerry side of the river. Three substantial farm-houses have been erected in the vicinity for tenants of the estate, in lieu of the miserable mud cabins which they previously occupied ; and, as the land is gradually reclaimed, others will be erected on different parts of the estate, of which nearly 100 acres have already been brought into cultivation on an improved system, and made to produce excellent crops of grain and potatoes ; and about 60 acres of mountain land have been drained for meadow and pasture. A vein of culm has been lately discovered and worked to a considerable extent for burning limestone, of which a large supply is obtained from the quarries at Carrigdulkeen and Taur, in the adjoining parishes of Kilcummin and Clonfert. A branch road to Mount lnfant is in progress, to complete the direct communication with the former quarry, and with the roads to Killarney and Millstreet ; a road to Newmarket is nearly completed ; and it has been suggested that a cross road should be made from King-William's-Town to open a direct communication with the limestone quarries at Taur, and to form a junction with the new road between Abbeyfeale and Newmarket.

NOHOVAL-DALY

NOHOVAL-DALY, a parish, partly in the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, but chiefly in that of DUHALLOW, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Millstreet, on the river Blackwater; containing 3229 inhabitants. It comprises 16,225 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6720 per annum, The portion belonging to the county of Kerry forms part of a district called, in the civil divisions, the " East Fractions." The arable land is of medium quality, and there is a considerable quantity of marshy bog. The parish comprises the greater part of the Crown estate of Pobble O'Keefe, on which the village of " King-William's-Town" has been recently erected by Government, and considerable progress has been made in draining, planting, and other improvements, noticed in the article on that place. The new Government road from Killarney to Mallow commences at Shanogh Cross, on the Kerry side of the parish, and at the distance of about a quarter of a mile crosses the Blackwater over a handsome stone bridge, called Duncannon Bridge ; it traverses the southern part of the parish, running nearly parallel with the river, and at Clonbanin, in the adjoining parish of Cullen, forms a junction with the other new line of road from Mallow to Castle-Island, which passes through the northern part of the parish. The old road from Shanogh Cross to Mount Infant is now being extended to the last-mentioned road at King-William's-Town, thus forming a direct communication between those two new and important lines of road. At Knocknagree is a large flour-mill, and four fairs are annually held there, of which the principal is that on the 28th of April. During the disturbances of 1822, a detachment of the military was stationed at this village, The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe : the rectory is partly appropriate to the deanery of Ardfert, and partly impropriate in the Earl of Donoughmore ; and the vicarage forms part of the union of Drishane, The tithes amount to £280, of which one-half is payable to the incumbent, £9. 2. 3. to the dean, and the remainder to the impropriator. In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the union or district of Boherbee, but chiefly in that of Knocknacoppel, or East Kilcummin : there is a small chapel at Knocknagree. About 120 children are educated during the summer in two private schools, and the late Mr. Cronin, of the Park, near Killarney, has recently bequeathed £30 per annum for the establishment and support of a school in each of the parishes of Kilcummin and Nohoval-Daly. There are some vestiges of the old church in the burial-ground.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021