All entries for Currin



Currin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Monaghan

CURRIN

CURRIN, a parish, partly in the barony of COOLE, county of FERMANAGH, but chiefly in the barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Clones, on the road to Ballyhaise and Stradone ; containing, with the town of Drum and the village of Scotshouse (each of which is separately described), 7180 inhabitants, This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 11,372 statute acres, of which 10,987 are in Monaghan, and 385 in Fermanagh. The land is chiefly arable ; there are about 200 acres of woodland, but little bog, and fuel is very scarce. There are several lakes in the parish, of which those contiguous to Drum, and to the Hilton demesne, are the most extensive. In addition to agricultural labour, the chief occupation of the inhabitants is the linen manufacture. Hilton Lodge, the beautiful residence of Col. Madden, is situated on the confines of Fermanagh, and commands a fine view of the neighbouring mountains ; the demesne, which is several hundred acres in extent, is well furnished with fine timber, and has a well stocked deer park. The other seats are Minore, that of Captain Cottnam ; and Laurel Hill, the property of George Moore, Esq.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, united by episcopal authority to part of the rectory and vicarage of Drumkrin, together forming the union of Currin, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to #400, and the gross tithes of the benefice to #584. The glebe, which was erected by a gift of #380. 15. from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1828, comprises 60 acres of profitable land, valued at #100 per annum. The parochial church, at Scotshouse, is a neat modern structure in good repair ; there is also a chapel of ease at Drum. On the next avoidance it is provided by acts of council, dated Jan. 7th, 1804, and March 6th, 1806, that the union be dissolved, when the part of Drumkrin will be attached to the parish of Drummully. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church : the chapel is at Scotshouse. There are two Presbyterian meeting-houses in Drum, one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class ; and one for Seceders, of the second class. There are schools at Scotshouse, Tattenaghcake, Carnagarry, Aghrea, Mockla, Carne, Laurel Hill, Killefargy, and Drum, in which are about 530 boys and 330 girls. There are also three private schools, in which are about 40 boys and 20 girls ; and six Sunday schools.

DRUM

DRUM, a market-town, in the parish of CURRIN, barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 2? miles (N.) from Cootehill, on the road to Clones, from both of which it has a penny-post : the population is returned with the parish. It occupies rather an elevated situation near Leysborough lake. In the vicinity is a quarry, from which the stone used in building the chapel of ease was obtained. It is a constabulary police station, and has fairs on the first Tuesday in every month. A chapel of ease to Currin church was built by a grant of #830 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1828. Here are two Presbyterian meeting-houses, a school, and a dispensary.- See CURRIN.

DRUMKRIN

DRUMKRIN, or ST. MARY'S DRUMCRIN, a parish, in the barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 10 miles (N.) from Cavan ; containing 3751 inhabitants, and comprising 7469 statute acres. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, partly united by act of council, in 1804, to the rectory and vicarage of Galloon, and partly to that of Currin ; on the avoidance of the latter benefice, that part of the parish which is not united to Galloon will, with the exception of Hermitage and Lisnadish, which will remain annexed to Currin, be incorporated with the parish of Drummully, The tithes amount to #184. In the R. C. divisions it is in the union or district of Drummully, and. has a chapel at Drumslow. About 130 children are educated in two public schools, and about 200 in five private schools.

SCOTSHOUSE

SCOTSHOUSE, a village, in the parish of CURRIN, barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER , 5? miles (N. W.) from Cootehill, on the road from Clones to Stradone : the population is returned with the parish. It is a station of the constabulary police, and contains the parochial church and R. C. chapel. Near the village is Hilton, the handsome seat of Col. Madden


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019