All Lewis entries for Tullaghanoge



Tullaghanoge

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

TULLYHANOGUE

TULLYHANOGUE, or TULLAGHANOGUE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER NAVAN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. W.) from Trim, on the road to Athboy ; containing 112 inhabitants. It is the property of Lords Darnley and Sherborne, and comprises 1133- statute acres, nearly the whole of which, except what is in demesne, is arable and in a good state of cultivation. The land is of good quality, and the system of agriculture has been greatly improved under the auspices of those noblemen, who have recently erected some very superior farm-houses on their estates. Clifton Lodge, the seat of the Earl of Darnley, is a handsome mansion finely situated in an ample demesne, which was greatly improved by the late Lord. It is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, form ing part of the union of Trim ; the rectory is impropriate in J. O'Reilly, Esq. The tithes amount to £54. 9. 9., of which £29. 11. 3-. is payable to the impropriator, and £24. 18. 5-. to the perpetual curate. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Moymet.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021