All Lewis entries for Matehy



Matehy

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

MATTEHY

MATTEHY, or MATHEA, a parish, in the barony of BARRETTS, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (W.) from Cork, on the road to Tralee ; containing 2156 inhabitants. It comprises 12,160 statute acres, of which 11,399 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6645 per annum. The surface is diversified, moderately well cultivated, and fertile, producing excellent crops. A new line of road has been opened through the parish. On the river Dripsey, which flows through it, are the extensive paper-mills belonging to Messrs. Magnay and Co., affording employment to from 70 to 100 persons, in the manufacture of large quantities of paper for the English market ; the buildings are of handsome appearance, and situated in a deep and well-wooded glen. There are also flour-mills. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, forming part of the union and corps of the prebend of Inniscarra : the tithes amount to £513. 14. 3. The church having been in ruins for several years, the parishioners resort to that of Inniscarra, which has been recently rebuilt in a more central situation, for the general convenience of the union. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Inniscarra, and has a small chapel. There is a private school, in which about 160 children are instructed.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021