All entries for Killary



Killary

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

KILLEARY

KILLEARY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER SLANE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Nobber, on the road from Navan to Ardee ; containing 2343 inhabitants. It comprises 7860 statute acres, and includes Parsonstown, the property of the Rev. A. Blackburne, a handsome residence in a demesne of above 600 statute acres. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Syddan ; the rectory is in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop. The tithes amount to #323. 1. 6?. of which #212. 6. 1?. is payable to the rector and the remainder to the vicar, who has a glebe of 3a. 2r. 16p. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district called Lobinstown, comprising also the parishes of Syddan, Innismoth, and Mitchellstown, and containing chapels at Lobinstown and Heronstown. About 30 children are educated in a public and 160 in four private schools.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019