All Lewis entries for Girley



Girley

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

CLONCAT

CLONCAT, a village, in the parish of GIRLEY, barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, containing 22 houses amid 128 inhabitants.

FORDSTOWN

FORDSTOWN, a village, in the parish of GIRLEY, barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (N.) from Athboy, on the road to Kells ; containing 14 houses and 157 inhabitants. Here is a constabulary police station ; also the R. C. chapel for the union or district of Girley, a handsome modern structure.

GIRLEY

GIRLEY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER 2- miles (N.) from Athboy, on the road from Mullingar to Navan ; containing 1480 inhabitants, This parish comprises 4637 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : about two-thirds are grass land of excellent quality, and the remainder under good cultivation, with the exception of a considerable tract of bog extending into the neighbouring parish of Burry ; there are some thriving plantations. The principal seats are Drewstown, the residence of F. McVeigh, Esq., a handsome house in a highly improved demesne ; Johnsbrook, of J. Tandy, Esq., pleasantly situated in grounds tastefully embellished ; and Triermore, of T. Rotheram, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Athboy ; the rectory is impropriate in Dominick O'Reilly, Esq. The tithes amount to £207. 1. 7., one-half payable to the impropriator and the other to the vicar ; there is no glebe-house ; the glebe comprises 1- acre. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kells ; the chapel at Fordstown is a handsome modern building, erected in 1800. About 60 children are taught in a private school, of which the schoolhouse is occupied rent-free. There are some remains of the ancient parish church.

NEWTOWN-GIRLEY

NEWTOWN-GIRLEY, a village, in the parish of GIRLEY, barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N.) from Athboy ; containing 23 houses and 105 inhabitants.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021