All Lewis entries for Knockavilly



Knockavilly

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

KNOCKAVILLY

KNOCKAVILLY, or KNOCKAVILLE, a parish, partly in the barony of KINNALEA, but chiefly in that of EAST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Bandon, on the road to Cork ; containing 2184 inhabitants. It comprises 2182 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4168 per annum. The land is generally good, although light and based on clay-slate, and is admirably cultivated ; the manure is lime brought from Ahirlow, or sea sand from Innishannon. The principal seats are Upton, the residence of the Rev. Somers H. Payne, who has erected a handsome barrack for a party of constabulary police in his demesne ; Garryhankard, of T. Biggs, Esq. ; Beechmount, of J. Hornbrook, Esq. ; and Ballymountain, of W. Penrose, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, forming part of the union of Brinny ; the tithes amount to £650, and the glebe comprises 54 acres of excellent land. Divine service is performed in a room licensed by the Bishop until the erection of a new church, for which Justin McCarthy, Esq., has given a site. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Innishannon, and has a large handsome chapel. Here is a parochial school of 40 children, which Mr. Justin McCarty has endowed with an acre of land, and to which the rector contributes £10 and the Hon. C. Bernard £5 annually ; also a Sunday school.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021