All Lewis entries for Kilsillagh



Kilsillagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

KILSILLAGH

KILSILLAGH, a parish, in the barony of IBANE and BARRYROE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. E. by S.) from Clonakilty ; containing 166 inhabitants. This small parish, which is entirely surrounded by the parish of Lislee, comprises only 237 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, the whole of which belongs to the see of Ross. The land is very fertile, and is wholly under cultivation ; the substratum is clay slate, and the chief manure sea weed and sand, which are obtained with facility in great abundance ; there is neither waste land nor bog. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ross, forming part of the union of Lislee: the tithes amount to £42. 14. 2. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Abbeymahon. There are some slight remains of the ancient parish chureb, to which is attached a small burial-ground.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021