All Lewis entries for Kilmurry



Kilmurry

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Cork


KILMURRY

KILMURRY, a parish, partly in the Western Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, but chiefly in the barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Macroom, on the road to Bandon ; containing 4147 inhabitants. Its surface is undulating, and its substratum slate: the soil is generally cold and badly cultivated, except the demesne farm of Sir Augustus Warren, Bart., of Warren's Court, which is a large and handsome house in an extensive and well-planted demesne, in which are the ruins of the old church of Kilbarry or Macloneigh. The other seats are Ballytrasna, that of the Rev. B. Gash ; Shandangan, of S. Penrose, Esq. ; Greenville, of B. Swete, Esq. ; and Elmville, of T. Gollock, Esq. At the village is a constabulary police station, and fairs are held on Feb. 1st, May 1st, Sept. 8th, Nov. 1st, and Dec 21st., principally for horned cattle and pigs. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Cork ; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire, who pays the curate of Moviddy a stipend for performing the parochial duties. The tithes amount to #750, but have not been paid for forty years. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilmichael, and has a small chapel in the village. There are four hedge schools, in which are about 180 children. Here is the shattered ruin of the ancient castle of Clodagh, built by McCarty More. The remains of the old church are near the village ; and near the boundary of Kilmichael parish are the ruins of Dunisky church.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020