KILCUMMIN, or KILCOMMIN, a parish, in the barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4? miles (N.) from Killala, on the western side of the bay of Killala ; containing 2563 inhabitants. It comprises 4009 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : the land is generally good and well cultivated, except on the coast, where the drifted sand injures the soil. Good stone is obtained here. At the northern extremity of the parish is Kilcummin Head, where is a coast-guard station, being one of the six in the district of Killala. The parish is in the diocese of Killala ; the rectory is appropriate to the deanery and the precentorship of Killala, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Lacken : the tithes amount to #160, of which #93 is payable to the dean and the precentor, and #67 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions, also, it forms part of the union or district of Lacken. About 60 children are educated in two public schools, and 25 in a private school. There are some remains of the old church, near which, in a small arm of the sea, the French army under Gen. Humbert landed, in 1798.