All entries for Islandeady



Islandeady

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Mayo

ISLANDEADY

ISLANDEADY, or ISLANDINE, also called ISLANDEDIN, a parish, partly in the barony of BURRISHOOLE, but chiefly in that of CARRA, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3? miles (W. N. W.) from Castlebar, on the road to Westport; containing 8564 inhabitants. It comprises about 25,920 statute acres, of which 23,936 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at #6154 per annum. There is much bog and mountain, and a lake 4 miles long, in which are two islands crowned with luxuriant woods. Here is abundance of fine limestone, which is quarried for building, and formerly large iron-works existed, of which great quantities of the scoria still remain. The principal seats are Mucknagh, the residence of M. Rowland, Esq.; Green Hill, of J. Bourke, Esq.; Woodville, of T. Bourke, Esq.; Cloonane, of J. O'Malley, Esq.; and Rahens, of H. J. H. Browne, Esq., which was occupied by the French in 1798. Near this seat is a monument, 86 feet high, erected by the late Dodwell Browne, Esq., in memory of his wife; also a very ancient windmill. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the' union of Castlebar: the tithes amount to #240. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Glen island, built in 1820 at an expense of #150, and one in lslandeady, which cost #300. There are a public and five private schools. The old church is in ruins.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019