All Lewis entries for Kilmaclenine



Kilmaclenine

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

KILMACLENAN

KILMACLENAN, or KILMACLENY, a parish, in the barony of ORRERY and KILMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Buttevant, on the road from Liscarrol to Mallow ; containing 325 inhabitants. It comprises 1021 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1163 per annum. The land is in general good, and is nearly equally divided between tillage and pasture: the state of agriculture has latterly been much improved, and a considerable number of cattle are fattened. Limestone of superior quality is obtained at a quarry, from which stones weighing nearly five tons each have been taken ; and yellow ochre is found near the old castle of Kilmaclenan. Patents exist for three fairs at Kilmaclenan, which for several years have been held at Ballyclough. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, being the corps of the prebend of Kilmaclenan in the cathedral of Cloyne, and in the gift of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £92. 6. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union, or district of Kilbrin. The castle of Kilmaclenan, and the old mansion-house adjoining it, both now in ruins, are said to have been erected by the family of Barry ; part of the outworks of the castle remain. A little to the south-east are the ruins of the ancient church, dedicated to St. Colman.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021