KILCORNEY, a parish, in the barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Millstreet, on the Bogra road to Cork ; containing 1257 inhabitants, and comprising 8606 statute acres, of which 3474 consist of good arable land, and the remainder of mountain pasture. In 1651, a desperate battle was fought at Knockbrack, or Knockiclashy, on the borders of this parish, between the parliamentary forces under Lord Broghill and those commanded by Lord Muskerry. Towards the south and south-east the parish is mountainous, and on the east borders on the Bogra Moors : good building stone is found in several places. Kilcorney House, the residence of H. Sherlock, Esq., is an old mansion to which was formerly attached an extensive and finely wooded demesne. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £147. 13. 10. There is neither church nor glebe-house, but a glebe of about 13 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the district of Clonmeen : the chapel, a plain edifice, is situated on the road to Cork. About 80 children are educated in two private schools. Some vestiges of the old church still exist in the burial-ground.