All Lewis entries for Kilcorcoran



Kilcorcoran

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

KILCORCORAN

KILCORCORAN, a parish, in the barony of DUHALLOW, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Kanturk, on the road to Newmarket ; containing 506 inhabitants. This small parish, which consists only of the townlands of Rossrine and Coolavota, is entirely isolated by the parish of Kilbrin, into which it has merged for civil purposes. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter, of whose economy fund the tithes, amounting to £60, form a part, and who allow the perpetual curate of Kanturk a small stipend for performing the occasional duties. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the district of Kanturk, and has a chapel at Coolavota. The ruins of the ancient church still remain in the burial-ground.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021