All Lewis entries for Marlestown



Marlestown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Louth

MARLINSTOWN

MARLINSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 1- mile (S. E.) from Dunleer, on the coast road from Drogheda to Dundalk ; containing 202 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 758- statute acres, the greater portion of which is under tillage, and the remainder affords excellent pasture ; the soil is fertile, the system of agriculture improved, and the lands are all in a state of profitable cultivation. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied ; and in the parish is Rokeby Hall, the property of Sir Richard Robinson, Bart., now in the occupation of the Count de Salis, a spacious mansion, situated in a well-planted demesne commanding some very interesting views ; the house contains a fine collection of paintings by some of the old masters. The parish is in the diocese of Arinagh ; it is a vicarage, forming part of the union of Dunany ; the rectory is impropriate in - Hall, Esq. The tithes amount to £70. 9. 1., of which £40. 19. 2 is payable to the impropriator. and £29. 9. 11. to the vicar. About 60 children are taught in a private school.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020