All Lewis entries for Dysart



Dysart

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Louth

DYSART

DYSART, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Dunleer, on the coast road from Drogheda to Dundalk ; containing 699 inhabitants. The land is of superior quality and well cultivated: about two-thirds are in tillage, and there are about 50 acres of bog. The village of Grange Bellew, consisting of about 25 houses, occupied by the labourers of Sir Patrick Bellew, Bart., has a neat appearance. There is a mill for grinding oatmeal, and another for dressing flax. Barmeath, the residence of Sir Patrick Bellew, stands in a richly wooded demesne, commanding extensive views. The old castle of John Bellew (one of the lords of the English pale) is incorporated in the present mansion ; and in the demesne is Windmill Hill, on which is a circular tower forming a conspicuous land mark. The parish is in the diocese of Armagh, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Dunleer: the tithes amount to £129. 19. 7-. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, which also comprises the parishes of Clonmore, Port, Dunany, Salterstown, and Drumcar ; and contains three chapels. That of Dysart is a handsome building, the site for which was presented by Sir Patrick Bellew, who also contributed towards its erection. A school of about 160 children is aided by Sir Patrick, who also contributed largely towards the erection of the school-house. Some vestiges of the ancient church still remain in the burial-ground.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020