All entries for Killoe



Killoe

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Longford

BALLINAMUCK

BALLINAMUCK, a village, in that part of the parish of KILLOE, which is in the barony and county of LONGFORD, in the province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (N.) from Longford, on the road from Newtown-Forbes to Arvagh; containing 30 houses and 163 inhabitants. The remainder of the French army under Gen. Humbert, which had landed in Kilcummin bay on the 22d of August, 1798, for the assistance of the insurgent forces,made a final stand in the neighbourhood, where, being surrounded by the English army under Lord Corawallis, they were compelled to surrender on the 9th of the following month. Having arrived on the preceding evening, the French forces were closely pursued by Col. Crawford and Gen. Lake; while Lord Cornwallis, with the grand army, crossing the river at Carrick-on-Shannon, advanced to St. Johnstown to intercept their progress to Granard. Col. Crawford having attacked their rear, about '200 of the infantry surrendered themselves prisoners; the remainder continued to defend themselves for about half an hour, when, on the appearance of the main body of the army under Gen. Lake, they also surrendered. The number of Gen. Humbert's army at the time of their surrender was reduced to 96 officers and 748 privates. Here is a station of the constabulary police, also a quarry of fine freestone.-See KILLOE.

DRUMLISH

DRUMLISH, a village, in the parish of KILLOE, barony and county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5? miles (N.) from Longford, on the road from Mohill to Edgeworth's-town ; containing 112 houses and 574 inhabitants. A customary market is held on Tuesday, principally for oats ; and fairs are held on Jan. 6th, March 17th, May 14th, June 24th, Aug. 6th, Sept. 19th, Nov. 1st, and Dec. 2nd. Here is a constabulary police station ; and the parish church and the R. C. chapel are situated in the village.

KILLOE (LOWER and UPPER)

KILLOE, or KILLOW (LOWER and UPPER), a parish, partly in the barony of GRANARD, but chiefly in that of LONGFORD, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Lougford, on the road from that place to Granard ; containing 16,779 inhabitants, of which number, 15,058 are in Lower Killoe, and 1721 in Upper Killoe. An abbey was founded at Cloono, which is supposed to have been in this parish, in 668 ; and in 1798, the French army, under Gen. Humbert, surrendered at Ballinamuck. The parish comprises 30,898 statute acres, of which 25,608 are in Lower Killoe, on the northern side of the river Camlin, and 5290 in Upper Killoe, to the south of the river. The northern part is mountainous, and contains a good deal of bog. but the southern part is rich grazing land. At Creeve is a quarry of very fine limestone ; at Ballinamuck a fine freestone flag quarry, and there is abundance of potters' clay. The principal seats are Farra, the residence of Willoughby Bond, Esq. ; Newtown Bond, of H. M. Bond, Esq. ; and Bawnmore, of the Rev. G. B. Moore. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and in the gift of the Bishop, divided into Upper and Lower Killoe ; the former of which is united to Clongesh, and the latter to Templemichael: the rectory is impropriate in Sir J. B. Piers, Bart.: the tithes of Lower Killoe amount to #812. 6. 1?., of which #276. 18. 5?. is payable to the impropriator, and #535. 7. 8?. to the rector of Clongish: the tithes of Upper Killoe amount to #200, of which #90 is payable to the impropriator, and #110 to the rector of Templemichael. There is a church in Lower Killoe, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1824, gave #900, and Willoughby Bond, Esq., #200. There is also a church at Drumlish, in Upper Killoe, for the erection of which the late Board gave #900, in 1824. A glebe of 79 acres is attached to the church in Lower Killoc. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms three unions or districts, namely, Moyne and Drimard, Drumlish and Ballinamuck, and Killoe and Ainbegs, and contains six chapels. There is a meeting-house at Corboy for Presbyterians in connexion with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class. About 40 children are educated in two public schools in Lower Killoe, to one of which the R. C. Bishop of Ardagh contributes #20 annually ; and about 1400 in nineteen private schools. In Upper Killoe about 180 are educated in three public schools, to which the Countess Dowager of Rosse contributes #8,Viscount Lorton #10, Willoughby Bond, Esq., #8, and the rector #2, annually ; and about 110 in eight private schools. At Newtown-Bond are the ruins of a church, and near Bawnmore are those of an ancient castle and two Danish forts. On the townland of Clonard is a large red flagstone, inscribed with many emblems or characters.-See BALLINAMUCK and DRUMLISH.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019