KENAGH, or KENAUGHT, a village, in that part of the parish of KILCOMMICK which is in the barony of RATHCLINE, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Longford, on the road from that place to Athlone; containing 81 houses and 396 inhabitants. It is a constabulary police station, and has a fair on Oct. 19th. Petty sessions are held every Tuesday, and a manorial court occasionally by a seneschal appointed by the Countess Dowager of Rosse. The church, a handsome building, was erected here in 1833, by Lady Rosse, at an expense of £2000. Here are also a Primitive Methodist meeting-house, parochial schools (principally supported by Lady Rosse), and a dispensary.-See KILCOMMICK.
KILCOMMICK, a parish, partly in the barony of ABBEYSHRUEL, partly in that of MOYDOW, but chiefly in that of RATHCLINE, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3- miles (N. W. by N.) from Ballymahon, on the road from that place to Longford; containing 3806 inhabitants. It comprises 7171 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5775 per annum. There is much bog. also limestone containing shells and susceptible of a high polish. The Royal Canal runs through the southern part of the parish: near Mosstown is a flour-mill. The principal seats are Mosstown, that of A. J. Kingston, Esq.; Lisglassick, of J. R. Robinson, Esq.; Ledwithstown, of W. Ledwith, Esq.; Lislea, of J. C. Bickerstaff, Esq.; and Glanmore, of Newcomen Armstrong, Esq. Mosstown was defended by the Newcomens in 1641, but was obliged to capitulate; it Was also garrisoned for King William by the same family, and was unsuccessfully besieged by James's forces. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and patronage of the Archbishop of Tuam: the tithes amount to £277. The church is in Kenagh. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 173 acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and is called Clough, Where there is a chapel. Divine service is also performed in a private house. At Kenagh is a Primitive Methodist meeting-house. About 130 children are educatcd in two public schools, to one of which the Countess of Rosse gives £15 per ann., besides a house and three acres of land, and to the other £14 per ann.; and about 250 children are taught in five private schools. Several raths and the ruins of the old church remain, and at Ballynock and Mosstown are two dilapidated castles.-SEE KENAGH.