All entries for Rathjordan



Rathjordan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Limerick

RATHJORDAN

RATHJORDAN, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Cahirconlish, on the road from Limerick to Hospital ; containing 400 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1063? statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; some of the land is remarkably good, but, being generally in small holdings, agriculture as a system is altogether unknown, and the land is cultivated in a very slovenly manner ; the chief crops are oats and potatoes, but wheat is becoming more general than formerly. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union and corps of the precentorship of Emly : the tithes amount to #70. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Herbertstown and Hospital. Not far from the ruins of the old church is a holy well, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, much frequented by the peasantry, especially on the anniversary of the saint.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019