All Lewis entries for Drumdowney



Drumdowney

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

DRUMDOWNEYv

DRUMDOWNEY, or DRUMDOWNA, a parish, in the barony of ORRERY and KILMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Mallow, neat the road to Kanturk ; containing 164 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises only 356 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £489. 11. 11. per ann. was formerly more extensive ; but the remainder has merged into the adjoining parish of Buttevant: a considerable portion of it is occupied by the wood of Drumdowney. The land is good and chiefly in tillage ; limestone is in general use for manure, and the state of agriculture is improving. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne. and forms part of the union of Ballyclough ; the rectory is impropriate in Col. Longfield, The tithes amount to £58. 10., of which £28. 10. is payable to the impro priator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilbrin, also called Ballyclough.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020