All entries for Carrigparson



Carrigparson

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Limerick

CARRIGPARSON

CARRIGPARSON, or WILLESTOWN, a parish, partly in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, but chiefly in the county of the city of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4? miles (S. E.) from Limerick; containing 487 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Limerick to Cashel, and contains 828 statute acres, about one-half of which is in tillage, producing good crops of wheat, oats, and potatoes, and the other is mostly meadow. Basalt and limestone are found here, the former mostly in a state of decomposition; and between the north-western extremity of the parish and Cahirnarry is an extensive and valuable bog. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, and is part of the union of Cahirconlish: the tithes amount to #95. 15. 4?. There is neither church nor glebe-house, but a glebe of five acres near the remains of the old church. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the district or union of Ballybricken ; the chapel is at Bohermora. There is a private school of 30 boys and 10 girls.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019