All Lewis entries for Desert



Desert

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

DESART

DESART, a parish, partly in the barony of IBANE and BARRYROE, and partly in the East Division of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 1 mile (E. by S.) from Clonakilty ; containing 744 inhabitants. It is situated on the bay of Clonakilty, and comprises 582 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £401 per annum. Although elevated, about half of it is under tillage, principally for wheat and potatoes ; and the remainder is mountain pasture. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, and forms part of the union of Kilgarriffe ; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean of Ross, The tithes amount to £75, of which £40 is payable to the appropriator, and £35 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Clonakilty. On an elevated site near the shore are the ruins of a church, which measured only about 20 feet by 12.

DESERT

DESERT, a parish, in the barony of BARRYMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 1? mile (S. E.) from Rathcormac ; containing 1141 inhabitants. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, forming part of the union of Gortroe, into which parish it has entirely merged, and with which the tithes are returned. In the R. C. divisions it is in the union or district of Rathcormac. The schools and further details are noticed under the head of Gortroe.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021