All entries for Killasnet



Killasnet

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Leitrim

GLENLOUGH

GLENLOUGH, or GLENCAR, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of ROSSCLOGHER, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT ; containing 1524 inhabitants. It was constituted in 1810, by separating 28 townlands from the parish of Killasnet, and comprises 3612 statute acres, chiefly under pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Killasnet : the income of the perpetual curate is #69. 5., of which #46. 3. is paid by the vicar of Killasnet, and #23. 2. from the augmentation funds at the disposal of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church is a plain neat building, erected in 1821, at an expense of #553. 16. 11., being a gift from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the district of Killasnet, and contains a chapel.

KILLASNET

KILLASNET, a parish, in the half-barony of ROSCLOGHER, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, Off the road from Enniskillen to Sligo ; containing, with part of the post-town of Manorhamilton, 5743 inhabitants. It comprises 26,485 statute acres, including a considerable quantity of bog. Copper, iron, and coal are supposed to exist in Benbulben mountain, and French chalk, gypsum, limestone, and coloured clays are found here. Fairs are held at Lurganboy on May 15th, June 21st, Aug. 21st, Sept. 22nd, and Oct. 21st. The principal seats are Screeny, the residence of Col. J. J. Cullen ; Rockwood, of Capt. H. F. Cullen ; and Glenade, of C. 0. Cullen, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Kilmore ; the rectory is appropriate to the see ; the vicarage forms part of the union of Clonclare, or Manorhamilton; and there is a perpetual curacy, called Glencar, or Glenlough, which was formed in 1810, by separating 28 townlands from Killasnet, and is in the patronage of the Vicar, who pays the curate's stipend. The tithes amount to #205, of which #136. 13. 4. is payable to the bishop, and #68.6. 8. to the vicar. The church, which is at Glencar, is a neat plain building: there is a glebe of 441 acres. There is a chapel of ease in the parish, the curate being paid by the vicar. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains a chapel at Mullys, built in 1834, at an expense of #250 ; and another at Glencar. There are three schools, two of which are supported by John Wynne, Esq., of Hazle wood, and the vicar. There are some remains of the old parish church, also several chalybeate springs in the mountains ; and near Glencar is a cascade, 200 feet high, near which are some fine views.

LURGANBOY

LURGANBOY, a village, in the parish of KILLASNET, half-barony of ROSSCLOGHER, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 1? mile (W. by N.) from Manorhamilton, on the road to Sligo ; containing 240 inhabitants. This place is most romantically situated in a rich and highly improved tract of country watered by the small river Boonid, which has its winding course through ancient woods and flourishing plantations, with which the surrounding district is embellished. The scenery is singularly picturesque and pleasing, and the view of the distant mountains by which it is encompassed is strikingly beautiful. The nearest of the group, at a short distance to the south-east of the village, is that of Benbo, which has an elevation of 1403 feet above the level of the sea, and is of very peculiar conformation. The higher portion is of fine granite flanked with stratifications of micaceous quartz ; and having at the base hornblende rock, hornblende and mica slate, with a profusion of gannets, sienite with green hornblende, and serpentine and green steatite thickly studded with garnets, which are also found in a stream at the base of the mountain. On the western side, some of the rocks are much decomposed, and red, yellow, blueish white, and black clays are found in great variety ; a stream called the Red Stone River, which flows through the vicinity, is tinged with the dyes of these several clays. The western base is also traversed by a metallic vein containing copper pyrites, formerly wrought on a small scale, and sulphuret of lead ; manganese is also found here, and both sandstone and limestone are abundant. The village contains 45 houses, of which only eight are roofed with slate and the remainder thatched. Nearly in the centre is a neat market-house ; and fairs, which are the best in the county for cattle, are held on the 15th of May, and on the 21st of every other month in the year.

MANOR-HAMILTON

MANOR-HAMILTON, a market and post-town, partly in the parish of KILLASNETT, barony of ROSSCLOGHER, but chiefly in that of CLONCLARE, barony of DROMAHAIRE, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 22 miles (N.) from Carrick-on-Shannon, and 102? (N. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Enniskillen to Sligo ; containing 1348 inhabitants. The manor was granted to Sir Fred. Hamilton, in the 16th of Chas. I., with extensive privileges, including courts leet and baron, and a court of record every three weeks, power to appoint a seneschal to hold pleas of all debts, with view of frankpledge, to have waifs and strays and privilege of free warren, and to determine causes and contracts to the amount of #1000. The castle, situated on a gentle eminence near the town, was by far the largest, strongest, and most handsome in the county : it was erected in the reign of Elizabeth by Sir F. Hamilton (from whom the place derives its foundation and name), and is 105 feet in length, 90 in breadth, and about 40 feet high, each of the stories being beautifully quoined and corniced with hewn stone : it is surrounded by a strong wall, defended by four bastions, one at each corner, and the stone of which it is built has a singularly glittering appearance, from the micaceous particles which it contains. The surrounding land is remarkably fertile ; the picturesque scenery affords interesting rides and views. The town forming one long street, consists of 233 houses, mostly thatched ; the Earl of Leitrim, who is proprietor of it, has built a spacious and handsome market-house in the centre, having a large square at the back with ranges of slated buildings for provisions. There is a sessions-house, in which sessions are held quarterly, and petty sessions on alternate Thursdays : attached to it is a bridewell. The market is on Thursday, and there are fairs on May 8th, July 1st, the first Thursday in August, and Oct. 7th ; also on the first Thursday (O. S.) in Nov., and on the 12th of every other month ; they are chiefly for cattle, and rank among the most important in the county. Here is a constabulary police station. Near the town are Skreeny, the seat of Lieut.-Col. J. J. Cullen ; Rockwood, of Capt. H. F. Cullen ; Hollymount, of Simon Armstrong, Esq. ; Glenboy, of Lewis Algeo, Esq. ; and Larkfield, of J. O'Donnell, Esq. The church is a neat building with a handsome spire, erected about 30 years since. There is a R. C. chapel ; and places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. A loan fund has lately been established, having a capital of #1000 ; a school is supported by a bequest of the late J. J. Masterson, Esq. ; and here is a dispensary.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019