All entries for Aghaboe



Aghaboe

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Laois

AGHABOE

AGHABOE, or AUGHAVOE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN's county, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Dublin to Roscrea; containing, with the post-town of Burros-in-Ossory, 6196 inhabitants. This place, originally called Achadh-Bho, and signifying in the Irish language "the field of an ox," derived that name from the fertility of its soil and the luxuriance of its pastures. It was celebrated at a very early period as the residence of St. Canice, who, in the 6th century, founded a monastery here for the cultivation of literature and religious discipline; and so great was his reputation for learning and sanctity, that a town was soon formed around it for the reception of his numerous disciples. The town soon afterwards became the seat of a diocese, comprehending the district of Ossory, and the church of the monastery was made the cathedral of the see of Aghaboe. This see continued, under a succession of bishops, to retain its episcopal distinction till near the close of the 12th century, when Felix O'Dullany, the last bishop, was compelled, by the submission of Donchad, Prince of Ossory, to Hen. II., to remove the seat of his diocese to Kilkenny. The parish comprises 17,311 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The rich and extensive vale in which it is seated lies between the mountains of Cullahill, on the south-east, and the Slieve Bloom range on the north-west, which separates the Queen's from the King's county. The soil is generally fertile, and in a tract of about 40 acres behind the church, said to have been the site of the ancient town, and afterwards of the abbey gardens, it is remarkably rich: the system of agriculture is improving, and there is a considerable tract of bog, but not sufficient to provide fuel for the use of the inhabitants. The substratum is limestone, of which there are several quarries; at Knockaruadh is found a brown slate; and at Carrig and Carrigeen are some rocks of granite. The gentlemen's seats are Ballybrophy, the residence of T. White, Esq.; Old Park, of - Roe, Esq.; Middlemount, of Capt. Moss; Carrick, of - Pilkington, Esq.; and Cuffsborough, of J. Palmer, Esq. Fairs are held at Burros eight times in the year; and petty sessions are held every alternate week there and at Cuffsborough. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Rev. Thomas Carr; the rectory constitutes part of the corps of the deanery of St. Canice, Kilkenny, in the patronage of the Crown. The tithes amount to #789. 4. 7?., of which #526. 3. 1. is payable to the dean, and the remainder to the vicar. The parish church appears to be the chancel of the old cathedral, the west end having an arch of red gritstone, now filled up with masonry; and there are foundations of walls, clearly indicating a continuance of the building towards the west; it was enlarged, or partly rebuilt, about 1818, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of #500. Divine service is also performed in the court- house of Burros. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of #100 and a loan of #1350 from the same Board, in 1820; there are two glebes in the parish, comprising together 185 acres, which belong to the vicarage. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parishes of Killermagh and Boardwell, and parts of those of Kildellig and Coolkerry, and contains four chapels, three of which are at Knockrea, Ballincolla, and Burros-in-Ossory, in this parish. There are two schools, in which are about 80 boys and 50 girls, and of which one at Cuffsborough is principally supported by Jas. Grattan, Esq.; and there also eight private schools, in which are about 230 boys and 160 girls; and a Sunday school. At the distance of a few yards from the parish church are the remains of the Dominican abbey church; and at Lismore are the remains of an ancient oratory of stone, supposed to have been attached to a residence of the Fitzpatricks; adjoining it is an old burying. ground. To the north of the church is a large artificial mount, surrounded by a fosse and encircled with a wall near the summit; and at some distance from it is an ancient fortification, called the "rath of Lara," or the "moat of Monacoghlan." At Gurtneleahie is an ancient square castle; and at Ballygihin are the remains of an ancient fortress, of which there were formerly many others in the parish.-See BURROS-IN-OSSORY.

BURROS-in-OSSORY

BURROS-in-OSSORY, a market and post-town, in the parish of AGHABOE, barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 13 miles (S. W. by W.) from Maryborough, and 53 miles (S. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 770 inhabitants. This place was formerly of some importance: being bounded on the north by the river Nore, and encompassed on every other side by bogs, it formed the great pass to Munster; and for its defence the Fitzpatricks, proprietors of the district, at an early period built a castle, of which, as appears by his will, Sir Barnaby Fitzpatrick, second baron of Upper Ossory, was in possession in 1582. In 1600, Queen Elizabeth granted this place, among other possessions, to Florence Fitzpatrick and his son, which grant was confirmed by Jas. I. in 1611. The castle was, in 1641, besieged by Florence; and the garrison, consisting of Protestants of Upper Ossory, though enduring the greatest sufferings from want of provisions, refused to surrender, and kept possession of it till they were relieved by Sir C. Coote. In 1642, Bryan, the sixth baron, accompanied the insurgents to besiege this castle, which was subsequently granted to the Duke of Ormonde, and, with the townland of Burros, comprising 600 acres, is now part of the estate of the Duke of Buckingham. The town is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Limerick, and consists of one long street containing about 130 houses. It has a market; and fairs are held on Jan. 25th, March 21st, May 31st June 24th, Aug. 15th, Oct. 11th, Nov. 21st and Dec. 20th. A constabulary police force is stationed in the town; and the quarter sessions for the county are held in April and October, and petty sessions irregularly. Here is also a dispensary. Near the town, on the estate of the Earl of Mountrath, are some remains of the old castle of Ballaghmore, built by the Fitzpatricks, which, in 1647, was attacked by Capt. Hedges and the garrison of Burros, to whom it surrendered, and was partly dismantled; the captain, on his return, was intercepted, and before he reached his quarters lost several of his men. On Kyle bill, about two miles from the town, is a rude stone chair, called by the peasantry the "Fairy Chair," which was probably in former times a seat of judgment of the Brehons.-See AGHABOE.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019