BROWN-MOUNTAIN, an extra-parochial district., in the barony of KELLS, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER; containing 25 inhabitants. This place is Crown land, and has never paid tithes; it is united with the impropriation of Tullahought, and the spiritual duties are performed by the curate of Kilmoganny.
TULLAHOUGHT, a parish, in the barony of KELLS, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N.) from Carrick-on-Suir, on the road to Kilmoganny ; containing 1538 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the small river Lingarn, which here separates the counties of Kilkenny and Tipperary, and the provinces of Leinster and Munster, It comprises 4364 statute acres ; the substratum consists chiefly of a slaty argillite. Near Kilmacoliver is an extensive quarry of slate of superior quality, called the Ormond Quarry, in which about 150 persons are generally employed ; the slates have an extensive sale in this and the adjoining counties, being considered nearly equal to the Welsh slates in colour and lightness ; the quantity annually raised is considerable, and the works have been extended to a depth of 120 feet. Kilmacoliver is the residence of Danl. Osborne, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, entirely impropriate in the Marquess of Ormonde, to whom the tithes, amounting to £181, are payable. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Killamery ; the chapel, a modern structure, is at Kilmacoliver. About 100 children are educated in two private schools. At Lamogue are some remains of an ancient church.