All Lewis entries for Tibberaghny


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny


TIPPERAGHNEY, or TYBUROUGHNY, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2- miles (E. S. E.) from Carnick-on-Suir, on the road to Waterford ; containing 293 inhabitants. This place is supposed to have been of some importance in ancient times, and to have been at one period thickly inhabited. According to Archdall, St. Dominick, or Modomnoc, flourished here about the middle of the sixth century, and the ruins of the church bear evidence of its remote antiquity. Here are remains of the foundations of an ancient town, supposed to be of Danish origin, a tombstone still existing being sculptured with Danish characters : also a mound of a conical form encircled by a spacious fosse, and presenting a considerable area on its summit. The castle is a stately edifice, supposed by some to have been erected by John, Earl of Morton, while at Waterford, but by others attributed to the Walshes, once proprietors of the entire parish : it is now the seat of M. Rivers, Esq. The parish is situated on the northern bank of the Suir, and comprises about l134 statute acres ; a large stone on its western border marks the boundary between the county of Kilkenny, in the province of Leinster, and that of Tipperary, in Munster. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Fiddown : the tithes amount to £90. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Templeorum.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021