All Lewis entries for Rathkieran



Rathkieran

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

ARDERA

ARDERA, a townland, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3- miles (W. N. W.) from Waterford; containing 334 inhabitants. This townland, which anciently was part of the possessions of the abbey of Jerpoint, is bounded on the north by the parish of Ullid, and on the south by that of Rathkyran, of which latter it is, in the civil divisions, considered to form a part, and comprises 804 statute acres. It is in the diocese of Ossory, and is one of eighteen denominations constituting the union of Burnchurch: the tithes amount to £69. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Moncoin.

RATHKYRAN

RATHKYRAN, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, near the road from Waterford to Carrick-on-Suir, 4- miles (N. W.) from Waterford ; containing 1408 inhabitants, of which number, 120 are in the village, The parish comprises 4197 statute acres, and the village contains 22 houses. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Vicars Choral of the cathedral of Kilkenny ; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter. The tithes amount to £203. 4. 4., of which £135. 9. 7. is payable to the dean and chapter, and £67. 4. 9-. to the vicar. The church is in good repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish and those of Aglishmartin, Portnescully, Poleroan, Clonmore, Ballytarsna, Tubrid, and part of Burnchurch, in which union are three chapels. At Moncoin is a school under the superintendence of the nuns, in which are about 250 girls ; and in a private school are about 200 boys ; there is also a Sunday school.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021