All entries for Churchtown



Churchtown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

CHURCHTOWN

CHURCHTOWN, or BALLINTEMPLE, a parish, in the barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Cloyne ; containing 1756 inhabitants. This parish, called also Ballygourney, is situated on St. George's channel, and comprises 4730 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act and valued at #2123. 19. 8. per annum. The greater part of the surface is hilly ; the soil generally is light and shallow, resting wholly on a substratum of clay-slate, and the lands are principally under tillage. The village consists of 35 dwellings, most of which are small mud cabins roofed with thatch. Between this parish and that of Kilmahon is a detached portion of the parish of Ballyoughtra, called Snugborough, containing 92 acres, and more than two miles distant from the main body of that parish. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and is part of the union of Lisgoold, and the corps of the precentorship in the cathedral church of St. Colman, Cloyne. The tithes amount to #500. 5. The old parish church has long been in ruins ; but a district church for this parish and that of Ballycotton was erected in 1835, at an expense of #330. raised by subscription. The glebe comprises seven acres in two portions. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Cloyne ; the chapel is a small neat edifice. The male and female parochial school for this parish and those of Kilmahon and Ballycotton is situated at Ballybraher, and is supported by subscription ; and there are two pay schools. There are two coast-guard stations, situated respectively at Ballyandrein and Ballycotton, within the Youghal district.

CHURCHTOWN

CHURCHTOWN, or BRUHENNY, a parish, in the barony of ORRERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3? miles (N. by W.) from Buttevant ; containing 2795 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Buttevant to Liscarrol, and contains 7029? statute acres rated to the county cess, and valued at #6334. 16. 11. per annum. The land is generally good, and mostly in pasture ; and agriculture is improving. Some bog, limestone, and a reddish-coloured marble are found here. The principal seats are Burton House, originally built by Sir Philip Perceval, destroyed in the war of 1641, rebuilt by the late Earl of Egmont, and now the residence of the Rev. Matthew Purcell ; and Churchtown House, the residence of the Rev. F. W. Crofts. The village contains several neat slated houses, a good inn, and a constabulary police station. A court for the manor of Burton, which includes several parishes, is held once in three weeks, in which debts not exceeding 40s. late currency are recoverable. The greater part of the parish is the property of the Earl of Egmont, who takes his title from the townland of Egmont, within its limits. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to #550, The church is a plain building with a square tower ; and the spire, which was thrown down about three years since, has been rebuilt by a grant of #258 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There is no glebe-house, but a glebe of 12 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Liscarrol : the chapel is a neat cruciform building, and is about to be improved. There are two private schools, in which are about 80 boys and 30 girls ; and the Earl of Egmont intends to build one at Churchtown, capable of accommodating 700 children, which will be placed under the National Board.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020