All Lewis entries for Portnascully



Portnascully

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

PORTNESCULLY

PORTNESCULLY, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Waterford, on the river Suir ; containing 1084 inhabitants. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Poleroan ; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Waterford, The tithes amount to £200, of which £125 is payable to the lessee of the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar, In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Moncoin, and contains the chapel of Carrigeen. About 240 boys are educated in two private schools ; there is also a Sunday school.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021