All Lewis entries for Killahy (Knocktopher)



Killahy (Knocktopher)

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

KILLAGHY

KILLAGHY, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Freshford: the population is included in the return for Tullaroan. This parish comprises 1564 statute acres: it is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, entirely impropriate in J. Butler Stopford, Esq. ; the tithes amount to £105. An abbey is supposed to have been founded here in 548. Near the old church are some remains of the house or castle of Killaghy, belonging to a branch of the Grace family.

KILLAHY

KILLAHY, a parish, in the barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Waterford to Kilkenny ; containing 712 inhabitants, and comprising 2670 statute acres. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kilbeacon, or Rosinan ; the rectory is impropriate in the Ladies Fitzpatrick. The tithes amount to £171, of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriators, and one-third to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilmacow. About 3O children are educated in a private school.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021