All Lewis entries for Kilbeacon



Kilbeacon

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

KILBEACON

KILBEACON, a parish, in the barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (S. by E.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 1049 inhabitants, and 3151 statute acres. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united to the vicarages of Rosinan and Killahy, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny. The tithes amount to £114, of which £76 is payable to the vicars choral, and £38 to the vicar. There is a glebe of 16 acres. The church is a modern building. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmacow. About 160 children are educated in three private schools. At Earlsrath was a large fort, encompassed by a fosse and a bank about 20 feet high : the enclosed area measured about 70 yards by 55, and contained some buildings.

LUKESWELL

LUKESWELL, a hamlet, in the parish of KILBEACON, barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Waterford to Kilkenny ; containing 10 houses and 53 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Kilmacow, which has its source among the "Welsh mountains," in the vicinity.

MULLINAVAT

MULLINAVAT, a village, in the parish of KILBEACON, barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 195 inhabitants. It consists of 39 houses, and contains one of the chapels of the R. C. union or district of Kilmacow. It is a constabulary police station ; and fairs are held on Easter-Tuesday, Sept. 3rd, Oct. 28th, and Dec. 9th.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021