GORESBRIDGE, a post-town, in the parish of GRANGE-SILVAE, barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (E.) from Gowran, and 52 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Kilkenny to Enniscorthy ; containing 634 inhabitants. This town takes its name from the family of its former chief proprietor, Col. Gore, and from the bridge over the Barrow, which here connects the counties of Kilkenny and Carlow. A patent for a market is extant, but none is held. It is a constabulary and a revenue police station, and has petty sessions every fortnight, and fairs on the 18th of January and December. The cattle fairs for Barrowmount are also held here on April 13th, June 15th, Aug. 1st, and Oct. 15th. A handsome church was erected in 1811, and here is a large R. C. chapel.-See GRANGE-SILVAE.
GRANGE SILVAE, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER ; containing, with the post-town of Goresbridge, 2313 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Carlow to Ross, and on the confines of the county of Carlow, is bounded on the east by the river Barrow, and comprises 7661 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4566 per annum. The land is generally of good quality and principally under tillage, and the system of agriculture is improved. Limestone is found almost in every part of the parish, and worked for agricultural purposes, except towards the southern extremity, where the strata alternate with granite. The surface, except on the demesnes, is destitute of wood, with which, from it.s name, it would appear to have formerly abounded. The principal gentlemen's seats are Barrowmount, formerly the residence of the late Col. Gore ; Doninga, of T. T. Bookey, Esq. ; and Barraghcore, of J. Handy, Esq., all handsome residences, with well-planted and improved demesnes. There are two large flour-mills, the property of Mr. Handy, worked by water and capable of producing 40,000 barrels of flour annually. The Barrow navigation, which commences at St. Mullins, about three miles below this parish, bounds it on the east and joins the Grand canal at Athy. Fairs are held at Goresbridge for cattle and pigs, and are numerously attended. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £500. The glebe-house was purchased for £184. 12., a gift from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises eight acres. The church at Goresbridge, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £168, is a neat edifice with a tower, and contains a handsome marble monument to Col. Gore, who fell at Bergen-op-Zoom while leading his men to the attack of that place on the 8th of March, 1814; it was erected by the officers of the 33rd regiment of foot, as a tribute to his memory. The R. C. the chapel, a neat edifice, is at Goresbridge. About 300 children are taught in the parochial and two national schools, of which the first is aided by Mrs. Bookey with £14 per annum ; there is also a private school, in which are about 50 boys.