All Lewis entries for Dunkitt



Dunkitt

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

DUNKITT

DUNKITT, a parish, in the barony of IDA, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Waterford, on the road to Thomastown ; containing 2637 inhabitants, This parish is situated near the river Suir, with which it communicates by the Dunkitt pill, and comprises 6267 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is generally good, and is based on a stratum of limestone, of which great quantities are quarried chiefly for exportation to the county of Wexford by the river Suir, from which the pill is navigable to the quarries, The principal seats are Mullinabro', that of J. Hawtrey Jones, Esq. ; Greenville, of A. Fleming, Esq. ; and Bishop's Hall, of Simon Blackmore, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, at a period unknown, to the vicarages of Kilcollum and Gaulskill, and in the patronage of the Crown ; the rectory is impropriate in the family of Boyd. The tithes amount to £553. 16.11-. of which £369. 4. 7-. is payable to the impropriators, and £184. 12. 4. to the vicar ; and the vicarial tithes of the union amount to £519. 12. 3-. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £200, and a loan of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1817, and the glebe comprises 23- acres, The church of the union is at Gaul-skill. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Kilmacow ; the chapel is at Bigwood. About 100 children are taught in a public school, and there are two private schools, in which are about the same number.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021