All Lewis entries for Derrynahinch



Derrynahinch

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

BALLYHALE

BALLYHALE, a village, in the parish of DERRYNAHINCH, barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S. by E.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 69 houses and 369 inhabitants. Fairs are held on Jan. 5th, March 28th, May 10th, July 9th, Sept. 21st, Nov. 11th, and Dec. 8th. The parochial R.C. chapel, a neat building with an ancient tower, is situated at this place, which gives name to the union or district, comprising the parishes of Derrynahinch, Knocktopher, Aughavillar, and Killeasy, and parts of those of Burnchurch, Jerpoint, and Kells, and containing four other chapels, besides a friary chapel.-See DERRYNAHINCH.

DERRYNAHINCH

DERRYNAHINCH, or DERRYNAHENSY, a parish, in the barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2- miles (S. E.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford ; containing 1784 inhabitants, and comprising 8171 statute acres. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and is part of the union of Knocktopher : the tithes amount to £225. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district called Ballyhale, and comprising the parishes of Derrynahinch, Knocktopher, Aghaviller, Killeasy, and parts of Burnchurch, Jerpoint, and Kells, in which are five chapels, that of Derrynahinch being in the village of Ballyhale. There are four private schools, in which are about 180 children, and a Sunday school.

KILNEDDY

KILNEDDY, or KILNEADY, a parish, in the barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Knocktopher, near the road from Kilkenny to Waterford ; containing 38 inhabitants. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Knocktopher. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ballyhale. At Ballytarsiney is a chalybeate spring, from the sides of which stalactites of iron ore are taken, and iron ore fit for smelting is said to exist in the parish.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021